Organised by British Naturism, this great event – set for September 2-4, 2016, will provide lots of opportunities for people to try costume-free swimming across many varied locations. The focus is on having fun, while also raising awareness of how many people’s buttoned-up attitude to the human body is causing them to lead potentially unhealthy lives.
Why has BN launched this initiative?
• To raise awareness of the many health and wellbeing benefits of taking part in naked activities – particularly in relation to feelings of freedom/liberation, fun and exhilaration.
• To highlight and share the body confidence benefits of “letting it all hang out” in public.
• To balance people’s perception of what constitutes a healthy body – i.e. it’s OK to have wobbly bits and be bigger than most ‘celebrity’ bodies… but it’s also important to keep an eye on potential problem areas such as poor skin condition, lumps/ bumps, obesity and associated issues. • To raise awareness of the benefits of early detection of health issues such as cancer.
• To increase participation in social nudity and naturism and boost our numbers.
• To change reactions – especially in the media and from authorities – to the acknowledgement that nudity is a good thing and not amusing, ridiculous, suspicious, or harmful.
It’s only going to work if there are plenty of locations nationwide. BN hopes that all naturist venues – clubs and swims – will put on an open day/ evening, and that regular beach users will host something on their favourite strand. We want to encourage people to skinny-dip in rivers, lakes and waterfalls. The Royal Parks are considering our request for the Serpentine to be included. It would be great to have other ‘landmark’ venues – the Olympic Park, Lake Windermere, Loch Ness. We hope that swimming pools, leisure centres and spas will decide to put on costume-free sessions of their own, and that non-naturist groups will do a sponsored skinny-dip for a good cause.
Could YOU host an event, or suggest a venue?
For more information, visit greatbritishskinnydip.co.uk